UC Insurance Programs

Summary : The University offers insurance to protect its research, teaching and public service activities from liability and financial loss. Departments are automatically covered by the self-insurance programs listed below.



Automobile Liability BUS-81(pdf) Covers UC Merced-owned vehicles for liability.
Basic Property BUS-81 (pdf) Covers all university buildings and property.
Business Travel Accident Insurance BUS-74 (pdf) Covers eligible individuals on university business travel within the state of California.
Domestic transit (under $100,000)  

En route coverage for property being shipped to or from the university.

Fine Arts Insurance BUS-81 (pdf)

Covers permanent and temporary art collections and exhibits.

General Liability BUS-81

Covers claims made against the university by members of the public or organizations who allege they have suffered injury or property damage.

Information Technology BUS-80 Covers a loss involving information technology hardware and data.
Professional Medical and Hospital Liability Self-Insurance BUS-81 (pdf) Covers malpractice claims brought against the university's medical professionals. Coverage for claims arising from the operation of the Student Health Center.
Student off-campus travel within California only. BUS-23 Covers certain limited in jury and illness of students who travel within the state of California as a result of participation in university-sponsored student activities.


For assistance and information contact riskservices@ucmerced.edu.