Skip to content

Event Coverage for Outside Groups Renting Campus Facilities

Individuals and outside organizations may host events at campus facilities provided they do the following PRIOR to the event:

  • Complete a Facility Use Agreement for the space they wish to use
  • Provide the University with insurance for the event

Before an off-campus group can hold its event, it must provide a Certificate of Insurance naming The Regents of the University of California as an additional insured. The University's self-insurance programs do not cover on-campus events held by off-campus groups.

If you already have insurance coverage

Instruct your insurance company to send the campus department in charge of the space a Certificate of Insurance with the following specifications:

  • You or your organization must be listed as the Insured.
  • The REGENTS OF THE UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA must be named on an amendatory endorsement as an Additional Insured.
  • The Insurer/Producer name and contact information must be on the Certificate.
  • The policy start and end date must encompass the date of your event.
  • The policy must include General Liability coverage of at least $1,000,000.
  • If you are bringing a vehicle onto campus, the policy must include Automobile Liability coverage of at least $1,000,000.
  • If you are bringing employees onto campus, the policy must include evidence of California Workers' Compensation coverage. The Certificate of Insurance must provide advance written notice to the University of any modification, change, or cancellation of any component of the insurance coverage.

If you DO NOT already have insurance coverage….

You may obtain coverage through Marsh, the University's insurance broker.

  1. Under How Can We Help You? choose Rent a Campus Facility in the drop down box and click Go.
  2. Complete the on-line application process for Tenant User Event Liability insurance (also known as TULIP coverage).
  3. You will be contacted by a Marsh Service Center Representative who will provide you with a quote for insurance.
  4. If you have any questions or need assistance, contact the Marsh Customer Service Center at 866-838-9536 from 6 a.m. to 3 p.m. Pacific Time.
  5. If you would like any additional information please contact

NOTE: You are not required to purchase insurance from Marsh and are free to get equivalent coverage from any insurance company as long as the certificate of insurance names the Regents of the University of California as additional insured with $1,000,000 limits, and is on file with the department PRIOR to the event.​