Skip to content

Property Insurance FAQs

What property is covered under the University’s property insurance?

All property owned by the University is insured for the following perils:

  • Theft
  • Vandalism
  • Fire
  • Water (as long as the damage is sudden, accidental, and not from a flood)
  • Explosions
  • Lightning
  • Windstorms
  • Hail
  • Transportation from one site to another
  • Building Collapse

And any other sudden or accidental damage EXCEPT that caused by the following:

  • Your own negligence (such as spilling coffee into your computer)
  • Earthquakes
  • Floods
  • Changes in temperature or humidity
  • Electrical disturbances (i.e. power failure or surge)
  • Unexplainable disappearances
  • Losses caused by deferred maintenance (such as a leaking roof)
  • Loss of data

Coverage is worldwide, meaning the property need not be on University grounds to be insured. Lost or damaged goods are replaced or repaired with property of like kind and quality. The deductible (the amount you pay before insurance kicks in) is $1,000 for all perils with the following exceptions:

  • Water Damage ($5,000)
  • Fire ($5,000)
  • Non-Forced Entry Theft ($5,000)

If an employee brings their personal equipment or property for use at work and it is damaged or stolen, is it covered by the University property insurance program?

Personal property brought to work such as laptops, iPads etc. are not covered by the University property program. Equipment that an employee brings to use at work for the benefit of the University can only be covered under the University property insurance program if they are placed on an official loan to the department by processing an Equipment Inventory Modification Form. This then places the equipment in the care, custody and control of the University and insures the property.