Skip to content

Personal Vehicles on UC Business

Insurance Coverage When Using a Personal Vehicle on UC Business Travel

Insurance for privately owned vehicles is the responsibility of the vehicle owner.

In case of accident or loss your own automobile insurance policy provides the primary coverage, even if you are using your vehicle on University business. University insurance programs do not cover damage or loss to personal vehicles used for business travel. Therefore employees are responsible for ensuring that their personal vehicles are sufficiently insured.

If you regularly use a personal vehicle on University business, your vehicle must be insured to meet the University's minimum liability coverage per G-28:

  • $50,000 for personal injury to or death of one person
  • $100,000 for injury to, or death of, two or more persons in one accident
  • $50,000 for property damage

In Case of Personal Vehicle Damage and/or Accident

  • Damage to personal vehicle: Contact your own automobile insurance company to find out your coverage, make a claim, and arrange for repairs. Your campus department may reimburse up to $500 for repairing your vehicle or for your personal auto insurance deductible, whichever is less, but that will come out of your department budget, not from the insurance program.
  • Employee injury: UC's Workers' Compensation Program covers injuries incurred in the course and scope of employment. Call 1-877-682-7778 to report a Workers’ Comp injury.
  • Damage to someone else's vehicle or property: Coverage is by your own automobile insurance policy.
  • A third party is injured: Coverage is by your own automobile insurance policy.

Questions? Please contact​