Skip to content

Mexican Auto Insurance

U.S. citizens driving in Mexico are subject to Mexican laws. The laws in Mexico that govern the operation of a motor vehicle are different than those in the States. Even a minor vehicle accident in Mexico can have serious consequences. In the event of an accident, the extent to which you will be able to deal with the problems that will arise will rely on the precautions you take and the planning you do before you leave.

Auto insurance policies issued in the States are not recognized in Mexico. If you are driving a University vehicle, you must purchase Mexican auto insurance at least two weeks prior to leaving campus for Mexico.

To obtain Mexican auto insurance for a UC vehicle, the department:

  • Completes the Request for Mexican Automobile Insurance form; Department control point (usually the MSO) must review, approve, and sign Request.
  • Submits the completed Request to Risk Services for review and approval.

Risk Services will fax approved Request to MacAfee & Edwards. Risk Services will also prepare an Authorization to Drive UC Vehicle in Mexico letter and fax or mail it to Department.

MacAfee & Edwards will prepare Mexican auto liability insurance policy for vehicle and fax or mail policy and invoice to Risk Services and/or Department.

Employee must carry the Mexican auto insurance policy and the Authorization to Drive UC Vehicle in Mexico letter in vehicle.

Paying for the Insurance:

Department is to pay MacAfee & Edwards invoice(s) within 10 days of receipt. If department fails to pay invoice in a timely manner, MacAfee & Edwards will refuse to process future requests without payment in advance.​