Skip to content

Lawsuits FAQs

What do I do if my department (or an individual within it) is sued?

The first thing to do is look at the top of the Summons Form to see who is being sued. Only if you are named as one of the defendants do you have authority to sign for the suit. You do NOT have authority to sign on behalf of the University or any sub-unit (such as your department). Refer summons servers to the Office of General Counsel at the Office of the President.‚Äč