Skip to content

Reporting Property Damage or Loss

Summary: Follow these steps to obtain insurance reimbursement if property owned by your department is damaged or destroyed.

1 ​
​Report the damage.
  1. Inform your supervisor and/or department manager
  2. Call the UC Merced Police Department 228-2677 (CAT COPS) if the damage/loss is the result of theft or vandalism
  3. ​Call Risk Services at 228-4705 to report a claim. Or call the University’s 24 hour claims ​hotline at 1-800-416-4029, press 1.


Record building and
property damage.
  1. Make a list of damaged or destroyed items.
  2. Take pictures of all damage to the building and property.


Keep track of related costs.
  1. Keep track of related costs that are incurred after the incident, including (but not limited to):
    • Overtime pay (regular time is not covered)
    • Relocation costs
    • Facilities Work Request


Ensure that damaged items
are University property.
  1. Collect the following paperwork:
    • Ledger Copy with Expense for Purchase OR
    • Department Inventory listings OR
    • Invoices or University procurement card receipts


Obtain repair or replacement
price quotes.
  1. Repair or Replacement:
    • Obtain a repair quote from a vendor. If the item is irreparable, obtain a written statement of such from the vendor.​
    • Replace the item with equivalent property. If the replacement is of better quality, the department may have to pay the difference.
  2. If property is not replaced or repaired , the department will receive the item's actual cash value.
  3. Note:
    • Campus policy and procedure for procurement of products or services should be followed.


Submit backup document for
the claim to Risk Services.
  1. Submit the list of items with supporting documentation (proof of ownership, repair or replacement costs) and documentation of any related costs to Risk Services.
  2. Expect claim processing to take a few months or longer because of investigation and coordination between the university and the third-party claims adjustor.


Wait for approval before
disposing of damaged property.​
  1. Obtain approval from Risk Services before disposing of damaged items.
  2. Notify Equipment Management if damaged items qualify as equipment. ​Complete an Equipment Inventory Modification Form (EIMF)

For assistance and information contact

See Also:

Automobile Self-Insurance Program